The internet is a strange and unpredictable place. It’s easier than ever for users to consume and generate online content, and virtually any topic typed into a search engine can result in thousands of hits. But with billions of people across the globe accessing this information, why is it that a video of a cat dancing to dubstep receives millions of views and shares, while the content your business creates does not?
Although very few articles, photos, and videos make it to viral status, you can generate more traffic on your website by using these techniques to bring in more viewers and make your content more shareable.
How do you get people to view your content?
Contagious content relies on a reader being so engaged with a message or idea that they are driven to pass it on to their peers. In many cases, content marketing utilizes this method successfully: Content marketing is believed to create about three times more leads than traditional marketing does. But generating initial interest and actually getting a reader to look at your content is more difficult than it seems. Lucky for you, we have four tips on how to draw readers in:
- Write a catchy headline. Headlines are the very first thing a reader will look at when browsing a company website, blog, or search engine result, and they will decide within seconds if they think the content is worth their time. Including searchable key words, incorporating wit or humor, or offering a different perspective from competitors can give you the edge you need to stand out.
- Team Up. Having a guest writer or collaborating with another figure or company can be mutually beneficial. Partnering with someone who has a following of loyal readers can bring you an entirely new audience, and there’s a chance that you can retain some of the newcomers.
- Promote sharing. Don’t make viewers work harder than necessary if they want to share your web page or article. Incorporate social media widgets to make it simple for readers to share what they find interesting with their followers.
- Create or share content that is trending. Keep yourself updated on industry news and topics, and generate content that relates back to what is popular. Readers who have prior knowledge of an issue may be interested in learning more, or could be looking for a new perspective.
What gets shared?
Even if you succeed in drawing in a reader, they may still need incentive to share your content. There are differing perspectives on what characteristics promote the most sharing, but we have narrowed it down to a few key traits:
- Things that invoke a positive emotional response. While something that provokes any emotional reaction can gain attention, people are more likely to share positive things over negative things.
- Practical or useful content. If a reader receives tips or advice that can make their life easier or safer, they will be more invested in sharing it with the people who are important to them.
- Popularity, a.k.a. the bandwagon effect. If everyone else is talking about and sharing your content, other people will want to as well.
- Things that have a “next action.” Do you tell your reader how to take the information they received and apply it to their lives? If the content your business creates ends up helping someone, they are more likely to share it with others.
Knowing how to attract readers to your website and creating content that is more shareable can increase your overall web traffic and bring in more business.
How can you create more contagious content for your business? We can help you find an answer. Contact the professionals at Proven Systems at (800) 720-5398 or email@example.com for a no-cost consultation.